Monday, January 24, 2011

An Update on Our House Purchase

Before we got onto all this house buying stuff I was well prepared for potential heartbreak and drama. I've heard too many stories from people about the varying ups and downs involved with buying a house, so let's just say I took those stories to heart and went into this whole thing with my guard up. I'm so glad I did. Our first two offers on homes were rejected, but that's been the easy part so far. Now we are on the third and escrow is supposed to close on the 31st...BUT, things are still up in the air. A few days ago the seller got frustrated with us about a certain miscommunication and signed papers to cancel escrow. We were able to straighten things out but we are still on very shaky ground with her. Now we've got a hang up with the IRS which is going to delay the close of escrow. The seller has been very paranoid that escrow would be delayed because of a failed sale she had with a previous buyer. Now she thinks our deal will fall through as well. When she hears that things are delayed I'm worried that she will drop us for good this time. Although that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, it would be difficult because we've already paid hundreds of dollars to have the home appraised and inspected. I guess we'll see what happens. I'm just glad I took to heart the warnings from friends and acquaintances, because my world will not shatter if this all falls through.

I can't say I'm not stressed though. The stress isn't coming so much from the chance that we may lose the house so much as the not knowing. The uncertainty makes it nearly impossible to plan. If we're moving, we'll need a lot of help. I'm pregnant so I'm not supposed to be lifting heavy things and I can't be around cleaning chemicals with a developing baby in my tummy. And what is moving? Cleaning and lifting heavy things! But it's hard to know if I should try to rally help without knowing when to ask for it or if we'll even need it at all. Plus, we gave our notice to the apartment managers of the place we're in now and they expect us out by the first of February. So, if you've asked me about the new house and I don't seem too enthused, that's why. I don't want to get too attached if things don't work out, so I've decided not to until we actually move in. I hope it all works out, but I hold it loosely.


  1. Congratulations! Baby #3!
    So do you have to move out of your apt either way? I hope it works out for the best. Praying for you guys!

  2. Thanks Jacquelyn. We're just hoping they don't find other renters right away or else we're in real trouble if the house thing doesn't go through. Are you still blogging? Can you send me the link?

    yes, I am starting to write again. Posted something this week of little importance though... more to come though!
    p.s. I am doing so much better than last time I saw you! (:

  4. Try not to stress and know this: that God is in control. He loves you and wants the best for you. Everything will come together as it should. We can't always see the big picture as we are going through it, but somehow with God's grace things turn out better then we can plan them. My prayers are with you.